It was a great day at the Dub as the Firsts beat the league leading Donegal Celtic 2-1. Unfortunately it wasn't all good news as the Colts fell 4-0 away to Aquinas IIs
Today’s Collingwood Cup draw
has paired Queen’s with UCD, the holders, in the quarter final for the third consecutive year.
Two years ago in Galway, UCD won a close game by two goals to one before surprisingly losing to Trinity in the semi-final.
Last year, in Cork, it was even closer, the game finishing one all after extra time before UCD prevailed in the penalty shootout and they then went on to beat Univ of Limerick in the final.
The Collingwood Cup will be hosted for the first time by NUI Maynooth and will be played in February on dates still to be decided.
We are delighted to confirm that our main sponsor for this season is Botanic Inns
. We will go to the Bot after games and we will hold various functions there over the season.
We are also very grateful to ATC Systems Ltd
for their support.
We urge all our players to support our sponsors.
Over the next few weeks we will welcome many new players to the Club.
New players can join the Club:-
Played at a high standard?
- At the Fresher’s Fair in the Students Union on Thurs 29 th September
- Trial games for new players will take place at the Queen’s Playing Fields (the Dub) on Monday 3rd and Wednesday 5th October.
- At the Fair, each player will be allocated one of these days for his trial.
- The trial games will take place on both grass and 3G pitches so please bring suitable footwear for both surfaces.
- Bring shorts, socks and boots, we will supply you with shirts to wear on the day.
If you need more information of if you have played recently at a good level of Intermediate standard football and you think you are good enough to play for Queen’s first team in the Premier Intermediate League of the Northern Ireland Football League ( NIFL), please email either our first team manager Peter Thompson (email@example.com
) or chairman Denis Clarke (firstname.lastname@example.org
) and include details of who you played for and your best playing position.
Please note we are looking for players for outdoor, competitive 11-a- side football, played in all weathers. We do not organise indoor or 5-a- side football.
Training at the Dub
Tuesday 6:30 – 8pm on pitch 4
Thursday 7:15 – 9pm on pitch 6
Monday 8 – 9:30 on pitch 6
Thursday 6:15 – 7:15 on pitch 6
All training is on 3G
This message is for any footballers who are hoping to come to Queen’s in September and for any current Queen’s students who might want to transfer and play for their University team.
We have three teams playing competitive football on Saturdays:
- The firsts are in the N.I. Football League, Premier Intermediate League division (formerly named NIFL Championship 2)
- The Seconds are in division 2B of the Northern Amateur Football League (NAFL)
- The Colts (mostly 1 st year students) are in division 3E of the Northern Amateur Football League (NAFL)
The first team will begin its competitive season on Sat 6 th August and preseason training is already underway. If you think you are good enough to play for our first team, pleased contact us at email@example.com to discuss joining in our preseason training program.
If your level of ability is lower than first team standard you are still most welcome to join the club. Training for the Seconds/Colts will begin in August, date to be decided, keep checking the website. Their competitive season will start in September.