Portavogie Rangers F.C. 3 Queen’s University IIs 6

Ogilvie’s students respond brilliantly as Queen’s get back to winning ways with four goal Prenter leading the way.

Following the slow and disjointed start to the rather disappointing outing against table topping Aquinas in the previous game, manager Ogilvie demanded better from his side in this long away trip to second placed Portavogie Rangers; and he was not to be disappointed.

Led by Mark Prenter in the absence of regular top marksman Mcdermott, Queen’s started brilliantly, combining a solid and well organized defensive set up with a blistering and ruthless counter attacking play. Wide men Abladey and O’Reilly were on top of the oppositions’ full backs from the first whistle, and the former failed to test the home goalie following a great cross into the box from O’Reilly. Abladey soon made amends 15 minutes into the game when following a neat interchange with Homan, found himself one on one with the full back whom he beat easily and the retrieving full back upended him and Queen’s were awarded a free kick. The resulting kick found Abladey who laid it into the path of Prenter who made no mistake from 12 yards out. Queen’s didn’t have to wait long for a second when 5 minutes later, a great ball from skipper Boyd found Prenter who was brought down and the referee had no option but to award a spot kick. Prenter picked himself up and sent the keeper the wrong way to put the away side 2-0 up. 2 soon became 3 when following neat interchange on Queen’s left hand side, Abladey found himself surrounded by two Portavogie defenders just inside the box. Everyone in the ground expected a pass across the box from Abladey but he had other ideas in mind as he cheekily nutmegged one defender, strode past another and sent a brilliant finish into the far corner. Queen’s were on top and could sense more goals with 10 minutes of the half left. Ogilvie ushered his side forward but there were to be no more goals as the referee blew his whistle to end what was a truly outstanding half of football from Queen’s.

Into the second half and the expected onslaught from the home side came and within 10 minutes of the restart clawed a goal back when a harmless ball across the box was misjudged by O’Connor and an opposition forward tapped in from close range. This served as a wakeup call for the away side and they responded brilliantly when following a neat exchange out wide between Diamond and Abladey, the latter played in Prenter who curled an astute shot past the goalie from the edge of the box to claim an impressive hat trick. 4 swiftly became 5 when a further neat exchange between Abladey and Diamond following a throw in resulted in the former laying a neat pass into substitute Coulter who fired a shot into the bottom corner from just outside the box. Lapses in concentration from the away side allowed Portavogie to claw back 2 further goals to make it 5-3 on the day with 10 minutes to go. The very impressive Prenter was to have the final say in the game when he was dangerously fouled by the on rushing home custodian, and picked himself up to net his fourth goal of the game despite making a somewhat unconvincing connection with the ball. Queen’s held on to claim a very impressive away victory against a second placed side who many have tipped for promotion. Despite this performance, especially the first half performance, manager Ogilvie is under no illusions as to the improvements his young side have to make if they are to maintain a significant challenge this season, and went onto warn his team to rid themselves of complacency.

Next Game: Finaghy FC (Home), Saturday October 17th 2015, 2pm KO

Queen’s: McCrea, Keenan, Watts, Boyd (c), O’Connor, Maguire, Homan, Abladey, Diamond, O’Reilly, Prenter

Substitutes: McKenna, Andrews, Coulter

Goal Scorers: M. Prenter (x4), Abladey, Coulter