Drumbo F.C. 1 Queen’s University II’s 2

Luke Ogilvie begins his reign as Queen’s 2nds manager with a hard fought win away at Drumbo.

The long wait for the first game of the 2015-16 season finally came to an end when Queen’s University IIs took on a Drumbo F.C. who had played two and lost both so far this season. One would’ve anticipated the home side would’ve been on the front foot from the start as they went in search of their first win of the season, but it was Ogilvie’s young and well drilled side that had the lion’s share of possession and dominated proceedings from the very first whistle.

Jason McDermott, last season’s prolific top marksman, and his strike partner Tomas Diamond, who was making his debut in a competitive game for the 2nds linked up very well and posed a major threat to the opposition’s defence, a prospect that must surely please and excite manager Ogilvie. A well marshalled defence, led by newly appointed skipper Niall Boyd contained and nullified the attacking threat of the home side, but despite their dominance, Queen’s failed to find the net and this was to prove costly.

On a rare foray forward, Drumbo won a corner kick and from the resulting set play scored the first goal of the game when Queen’s lost concentration after having initially cleared the kick, and the ball fell kindly to an opposition attacker who made no mistake from 10 yards out. This seemed to kick Queen’s back into life and they began to regain control of the match, with the lively McDermott and Diamond causing real problems for the home defence. Debutant Matty Andrews was withdrawn after 30mins having suffered a shoulder injury and was replaced by Mark Coulter who continued to impose himself on the game.

Queen’s went into half time a goal down but came out with high intensity after the break and within 20 minutes netted the equalizer when the ever reliable McDermott received a pass from Coulter and fired a shot from the edge of the box which took a deflection and deceived the home custodian. Queen’s stepped up in pursuit of a winner, with McMahon and Maguire controlling the midfield. The perfect opportunity to go ahead came for Queen’s when the impressive McMahon was fouled inside the box. Abladey, however, blazed the resulting spot kick over despite sending the keeper the wrong way. Luke Ogilvie’s side were not set back by this and continued to go in search of the winner, with substitute Devine offered the perfect chance to net after a great pass from McMahon left him one on one, but he could only muster a tame shot at the goalie.

The away side’s endeavour was rewarded when the impressive Coulter crossed for Diamond to send a looping header into the top corner with 15mins to go. Despite a late wave of pressure from the home side, Queen’s held on with resolute defending to begin the new manager’s reign with a well-earned victory.

Next Game: TBC

Queen’s: Empsall, Keenan, McIllwaine, Boyd (c), O’Connor, Maguire, McMahon, Abladey, Diamond, Andrews, McDermott

Substitutes: Farahmand, Coulter, Devine

Goal Scorers: McDermott, Diamond