Portadown 7 Queen’s University 1

NIFL Championship

This was one of only a handful of games to survive the dreadful weather. Portadown had the advantage of the strong wind in the first half.

It was an even open game from the start with both teams finding it relatively easy to open up the opposition defence. The opening goal was an ugly affair. After 25 minutes Portadown were awarded a corner when clearly it should have been a goal kick. From the ensuing cross to the near post, Luke Wilson got a touch among lots of bodies and the ball somehow ended up in the net. Just before the break the Queen’s defence failed to cut out a simple long ball up the middle, setting Adam Sally clear one on one with Declan Brown. He shot low and hard past the keeper but the ball stuck in the mud on the goal line and Chris Lavery reacted first to tap home.

With the wind at their backs Queen’s would have thought a comeback was possible but in the first minute of the second period, Adam Sally picked up the ball near the half way line and set off on a run past a number of Queen’s players and shot home low and hard past Brown from the edge of the box. This time the ball didn’t stick in the mud. A long afternoon was definitely in store for Queen’s when just a few minutes later left back Chris Crane struck a long ball into the Queen’s box where Lee Bonis headed it on to Salley whose shot came back to him off the post and he had a simple tap in for his second goal of the game. Declan Brown then made a good save to thwart Stephen Teggart. Queen’s then got a goal back following a flowing move down the left wing. Ronan Young got to the bye line and pulled the ball back to former Portadown player Brendan Glackin who scored his first goal for Queen’s from 12 yards. The goal of the game arrived on 71 minutes. George Tipton hit a long diagonal ball to the right wing where Salley allowed the ball to bounce and then completed his hat trick with a great volley into the far corner. Portadown then won a corner from which Adam McCallum headed the ball on to Lavery for a tap in. The final goal came when Crane hit a long ball beyond the far post where Salley kept it in play and passed to Stephen Murray who scored into an empty net.

Next is an away game against Dergview on Tues 15th February, KO 8pm