Queen’s University 5 Coagh United 3

IFA Intermediate Cup Round 1

Queen’s welcomed back Coagh United to the Dub in the first round of the Intermediate Cup. The visitors are familiar faces from the IFA Championship but unfortunately fell foul of last year’s league reorganisation and now ply their trade in the Ballymena Intermediate League.

The first half started well for Queen’s and they were soon in front. Nathan Jones’ 25 yard free-kick was handled by a Coagh player in the wall and up stepped Daniel Hanna to send the keeper the wrong way with a precision finish into the bottom right corner. A short corner routine by Emmett Friel and Matthew Hughes gave Hughes the ball on the goalline in the Coagh penalty area. He skipped past a defender and then rifled the ball into the far top corner from an almost impossible angle; an outstanding goal.

A third Queen’s goal came soon after and it was a wonderful team goal. Starting from Conor Lally in nets, the ball was played from the back line, into midfield and found Nathan Jones 25 yards from goal. Jones drove towards the area and unleashed an unstoppable shot from 18 yards. The final goal of the half was a combination of the ridiculous and the sublime. A melee from a corner resulted in the ball falling to Matthew Hughes and a wonderful back heel found the back of the net. A first half to savour from Queen’s with two good saves from Conor Lally making sure they kept their deserved 4-0 lead.

Coagh came out in the second half determined to prove themselves better than the first and did so with gusto. Only a number of point blank Lally saves kept them out. Unfortunately, a mix-up with ten minutes to go allowed Coagh to get one back and a second was soon to follow. It was then that the experience of Michael Allison came into play as he calmed the nerves by going straight up the other end and finding the net. There was still time for Coagh to score with almost the last kick of the game but it was too late to stop Queen’s progressing.

Next week we are home to Dundela in the Quarter Final of the Steel and Sons Cup.