Ravenhill Y.M. IIs 3 Queen’s Colts 7

Colts start slow then canter to victory

The Colts travelled across town to Sydenham on Saturday for only their second away game of the season. Their opponents were last season’s title rivals Ravenhill.

Once again manager McArthur was forced into rejigging the lineup due to unavailability while David Kennedy was called up to the 2nds. Jonny Boyd missed out through illness on the morning of the match.

Niall McCourt partnered John Nutman in central defence with last week’s centre halves Alvarez and O’Hare playing at full-back. Nacho Bravo returned in midfield and Michael Moseneke made his first start for the Colts this season up front. Andrew Gawne was in goal for the injured Nick Lewsley.

The students made a similar start to last week’s game and went behind to what looked like an offside goal after the ball had not been cleared properly at a corner. Ravenhill then increased their lead just minutes later when a well struck shot from the edge of the box gave Gawne no chance to the delight of the home players.

Like last week the students reacted very well to going behind. Good moves on both flanks encouraged the visitors and when Michael Moseneke was brought down in the box the referee pointed to the spot. Niall McCourt’s penalty was parried by the keeper but the alert Moseneke was on hand to poke in the loose ball. Queen’s were now in control of the match and after several near misses Moseneke scored his second goal for the match with a clever near post attempt which beat the home keeper down low to his right.

Bravo and Nelson both had tricky and determined opponents in central midfield but gradually got the better of them as the half developed. Nutman was rock solid at the back for Queens with Alvarez and O’Hare growing in confidence and getting forward frequently. After some right wing trickery by Greenlees the ball was squared across the box for the on rushing Bravo and the little Spaniard finished superbly with a right foot shot into the far corner.

Half-time Ravenhill 2 – 3 Queen’s

The students were on the front foot from the first whistle of the second half. Nelson tested the Ravenhill keeper from distance and whipped in several dangerous corners from the right. A move started by Greenlees released Michael Moseneke on the right and the speedy forward dribbled along the bye-line before setting up a tap-in for Andrew White. The students were now in full control and midway through the half Tim Nelson beat several opponents before registering his first goal for the club with a firmly struck instep dive which gave the Ravenhill keeper no opportunity for a save.

McArthur rang the changes and introduced Jones no Kyle who both picked up the pace of the game quickly. Queen’s were awarded their second penalty of the day when Bravo was scythed down in the box. McCourt again made contact with the keeper from the spot-kick but put enough power of his shot for the ball to divert into the net.

Leading 6-2 the Colts produced a sloppy ten minute period when Ravenhill had several good chances to get back in the game. One of these opportunities was finally converted to make the score 6-3. Player-coach Glen Andrews replaced Man of the match Moseneke with fifteen minutes remaining and showed several quality touches as Queens regained the momentum. Just before the end right full-back Eoin O’Hare went on a fantastic surging run before rolling the ball perfectly into the stride of Andrews who whipped an unstoppable right foot shot into the top corner to the delight of the Queen’s contingent.

So,  a well-deserved victory and a first away win of the season which moves the Colts up to a creditable 5th place in the table with at least two games in hand on all other other teams. This team clearly has a lot of potential and boss McArthur will be hoping for a continuance of the good form when games start up again at the end of January.

Ravenhill 2nds 3 – 7 Queen’s Colts