Queen’s Colts 7 Kelvin OB IIs 2

Colts win in style.

Queen’s entertained East Belfast based Kelvin Old Boys 2nds this weekend on the 3G pitch at the Dub. Manager Ian McArthur has battled unavailability all season and fielded the eleventh different back four in eleven games. Fintan Devine was at left back and Robbie Reid returned from illness on the other side. Sam Kyle was given another opportunity up front alongside Tim Nelson.

The students settled quickly against a very experienced and fairly robust Kelvin team. Niall Greenlees went on several dangerous runs with the ball and good inter-passing from the home team caused Kelvin problems at the back. Bravo and Harrington had the measure of their central midfield opponents and both worked tirelessly as Queen’s gradually began to take full control of the contest.

The students forced several corners and went agonisingly close to taking the lead from one of them when following a superb delivery from Greenlees, Nutman’s powerful header was kicked off the line to safety. Queen’s deservedly took the lead when after hesitation and confusion following a disputed throw-in the alert Tim Nelson showed a clean pair of heels to two Kelvin defenders and slotted home the opening goal past a despairing keeper from a difficult angle.

Queen’s continued to dominate possession and furthered their lead when James Harrington weaved his way into box and beat the keeper – again from what looked like an impossible angle.

Queen’s were looking very comfortable but a rare lapse in concentration allowed Kelvin back into the match when one of their midfielders volleyed home from distance midway through the first half. However, Queen’s reacted positively and following another excellent corner kick delivery John Nutman stole in unmarked at the far post and restored the Colts’ two goal cushion. Shortly before half-time James Harrington headed in his second goal of the afternoon following Greenlees’ fine in-swinging corner kick.

It was largely the same after the interval with the students passing the ball extremely well and giving Kelvin problems with their pace. Two visitors were yellow carded as the visitors increased their physicality in an effort to contain the ascendant youngsters.

Substitute Joe Beams’ corner was deflected into his own net by a Kelvin attacker to give the students a 5-1 lead after an hour before Queen’s scored what was undoubtedly the “goal of the game”. In a move – started by Robbie Reid just outside his own box – Queen’s made ten passes before Jonny Boyd was released on the right and his perfectly played low pass was finished calmly by Tim Nelson.

Queen’s conceded a sloppy goal after seventy minutes but substitute Jonny Boyd took advantage of a defensive mix-up to head in a seventh goal for the students before the final whistle sounded.

An excellent afternoon for The Colts who move above their opponents into 7th place in the table. The players had worked hard on corners this week in training so it was pleasing to see immediate improvement in that area.

The Colts are in action again on Monday night against Newtownbreda and then travel to Kelvin OB for the reverse fixture at Dixon Park next Saturday.

Queen’s Colts 7 – 2 Kelvin OB 2nds

Scorers: Nelson(2), Harrington (2), Nutman, Boyd and an OG.