Queen’s Colts 2 Suffolk IIs 3

Late heartbreak for Colts

The Colts welcomed a very strong Suffolk Swifts side to the Dub on Monday night in an attempt to catch up on many cancelled games and their late start to their season. The visitors fielded an experienced looking team and took the initiative in the early stages of the game with a direct and at sometimes quite physical approach. However, the students weathered the early storm and gradually began mounting attacks of their own – Andrew White going close with a shot across the keeper and several corners almost producing the first goal for the home side. Against the run of play Suffolk took the lead with a well-struck shot from the edge of the box after Queens had failed to clear their lines. The response from Queens was excellent and Enwright was narrowly wide with a header from Maguire’s corner as the half concluded.

The Colts began the second half very brightly, using both flanks to good effect and it was no more than they deserved when Kyle McCullogh’s low driven cross into the box was turned into his own net by a Suffolk defender. At this point the visitors were largely playing long balls into the corners and from one of these attacks Queens conceded a free-kick near the by-line on the right just outside the box. From the resulting set-piece the ball was lofted over everyone and into the far corner of the net to restore Suffolk’s lead. Again the students showed great character and appetite for the battle. Boyd was unlucky with a long range effort and Morgan, White and McCullough all went close to an equaliser. With around fifteen minutes remaining Kyle McCullough bamboozled several defenders with a typical mazy run and was upended in the box to give the students the chance to tie things up. Niall McCourt did not disappoint as he blasted home the spot kick to make it 2-2. Shortly afterwardsAndrew Gawne produced a fine save to prevent the visitors restoring their lead.

It was anyone’s game in the closing ten minutes with both sides having chances to clinch it but with only a few minutes remaining a long throw-in from the left was not properly cleared by Queens and Suffolk netted the winner when the ball landed near the edge and was dispatched with aplomb high into the net by one of the lurking visitors. Queens tried to tie it up with Liam Devlin’s long range effort going just wide but time ran out to the delight of the Suffolk support.

A disappointing result for the youngsters who probably deserved a point for their tremendous efforts on the night. In fairness Suffolk certainly had the better of the chances but it was a game that students could easily have pinched. Despite the result The Colts stay in second place with games in hand on leaders Ballysillan and will be back in the saddle at home to Rooftop this coming Saturday. McCullogh’s was the pick of many great performances with all fourteen lads again doing the club proud.

Queens Colts 2 – 3 Suffolk 2nds

Goals: OG and McCourt (pen)